more than one voice

Friday, April 29, 2011

calling myself artist

 above all else she had to create, and she said - yes

When i was struggling to find the courage to begin calling myself artist - someone read the following extracts to me from 'Letters to a young poet' - by Rainer Maria Rilke.

'You ask if your verses are good.  You ask me.'
'You have asked others'
'Nobody can advise and help you, nobody, There is only one single means.  Go inside yourself. Discover the motive that bids you write; examine whether it sends its roots down to the deepest places of your heart, confess to yourself whether you would have to die if writing were denied you.  This before all: ask yourself in the quietest hour of your night: must I write? Dig down into yourself for a deep answer.  And if this should be in the affirmative, if you may meet this solemn question with a strong and simple 'I must', then build your life according to this necessity; your life must, right to its most unimportant and insignificant hour, become a token and a witness of this impulse.'

'fractured'
i had a dream - one night while i was grappling with the word artist.  the theme was familiar, 'houses' - except this time i was given the blueprints for the house and told to build it, as i wished.  no scary rooms, dark attics or sinister basements this time.

3 comments:

  1. What poignant and inspiring post, Clare! I've often wrestled with my fears only to find deep down I mostly fear not doing what I love.

    Thank you for visiting and following My Blog. I'm happy to have met you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quote! I think every artist has that fear. "Feel the Fear do it anyway" It is my favorite saying. It has worked for me for many years. Just saying those words when I feel the fear. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to say those words isn't it? I always feel like such a fraud when I say them.

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment