more than one voice

Sunday, May 8, 2011

making art speak


she needs our support

I was drawn to a book because of the artists beautiful work, but when I began to read about the artist’s life it got me thinking about what art can do.  The artist I was reading about was William Morris, he lived from 1834 – 1896 in England.  He was a very prolific artist; he made furniture, designed the most stunning wall paper, fabric and painted.  

Towards the end of his life he began to use his art towards a commitment to change society.  Capitalism was in full swing, with the wealthy industrialists explicating the poor working classes, machines where taking over everything, and often the result was suffering for those on whose backs the growth was being made. Sound familiar?

It’s wonderful to make pretty art, cute little pictures that make us feel all fuzzy and warm inside, but we live in a world that needs us to be critical, to look at what is happening around us.  I want my children to have a reasonable world to live in, we don’t have the privilege of silence on certain matters, we have to speak up, and as artists we can use our art to speak up for us.  

she decided to be brave and think about the future

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you make a strong point. Thanks for making me think.

    Happy Mother's Day!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Clare. I just couldn't agree more. Art is more than just beauty to the eyes, it's also an opinion and we should let it sing.

    Thank you by the way for visiting me, and for leaving such a sweet comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you. A few years ago I was asking myself if my art could do something positive and I found the answer in GOD. The beauty He gave us with all things he created. Now I know art can heal, and can speak to the heart. Now I can work with more passion because I know I have a responsibility and that art is an important part in human life. Thanks for visiting and for your sweet comment in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MAKING ART SPEAK!

    That's all it is about!!! The best purpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did have a dream once that all our art we create came to life. I saw all kinds of art coming of there cnavasses. I've thought maybe creating the loving art all dreamyfied is actually the best way to counter act the badness.
    Thank you so much for your lovely message, really meant a lot to me and your so right.
    Lovexx
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clare, thank you so much for visiting my blog and your kind comments--which led me to yours and your wonderful art. And this great post--what better way to reach out to people than with our art--thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare,
    Thank you for your lovely remarks that you have made on my blog. your work is lovely. I do think Art can be a statement. In my case, it is really a reaction formation to the a world that I perceive at times to be Corrupt and unkind. So what about refuge in Art? What about healing in the making? What about being Present with God when you are alone in the studio? Listening to your own thoughts and making your head a safe harbor that repells the Great Negativity? This is a complicated subject isn't? Love it. Come back and see me. Hugs with long arms, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you say here is so true. Art can be many things and it can create strong emotions in people causing them to think about the world around them. Thank you for reminding us of this.

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment