more than one voice

Monday, August 29, 2011

Change - in season

was change really so hard, she wondered out loud

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been watching a tree outside my bedroom window slowing get its new leaves, changing from a bare silhouette, into a mass of soft green leaves.  The weather is warm, and it gives a hint of the long hot summer ahead. Watching this new growth has made me contemplate change, what it means to me, how there is no escaping change. Just like that tree, changing, growing new leaves, we constantly experience change in our lives, times of growth, times of stagnation, times of joy and times of pain.

Although, life mostly seems pretty unpredictable, change is the one constant.  I don’t know too many people that don’t find change stressful, even the good changes in life can prove a challenge.  Inevitable, sooner rather than later one is faced with some sort of change.

My husband was saying just the other day how much he is battling with the changes in our children.  The changes aren’t bad; we are blessed with wonderful children, who are growing into fine people, we are very proud of them.  Just thinking about the day when they will leave home is sad, we have both enjoyed the day-to-day job of being parents.

When I look at my parents and see the wrinkles now etched on their faces or hear about their health problems, I realise that soon that phase of my life will change forever. 

I’ve always enjoyed new challenges and have prided myself on being quiet adaptable – but lately the changes that seem to loom do not seem to be easy ones.  I’m just glad that I have a bit of life experience to get me through them, to be able to step into this new season of life.

the smell of the jasmine - was intoxicating

Today I turn 45, another change - Finally, I think i'm okay with being in the 40's, my skin is fitting a lot better than it did a few years ago and its not just the filling it out better part either, getting older doesn't seem to be so bad after all. 
this was waiting for me on my arrival home from work - my husband had made me an easle out of an old door frame he salvage from the rubbish damp - I'm feeling better damn lucky right now. Oh, if you look carefully behind the easle you can see the cupboard he made for me - out of old facade boards he picked up outside a house that was under going renovations.

Here is a link to a story about the organisation that I work for - 

Women in a savings group - photo credit SaveAct

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Clare, what beautiful gifts, your so deserve them. Happy birthday! So nice to hear summer is coming for you! Hope you have had an amazing day!
    You ave an amazing family too!
    HUGE HUG!
    Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you how beautiful your painting is! I got drawn to your blog and got carried away with your happiness! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say what a honey of a husband you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see you back, what perfect gifts. Hope you had a super birthday. Summer is seeping slowly into our days here too and it warms the heart a little to see the blue skys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday dear Clare - may you have another wonderful year - and many more!
    May your changes in life not be too disturbing and too drastic, may there be good changes to balance!
    Your husband made you a gift so completely in unison with your nature - I can see how happy it made you!
    Have a golden after Birthday Day! Hugs, Yael.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had a lovely day yesterday. What a thoughtful husband, nice gifts. Some days ago I was looking through some old photos and found some of my son when he was a little boy. I can't tell you how much I wanted to give that LITTLE boy just one more hug. Changes.....
    Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS GIRL!!

    I love how thought provoking and positive your post is - it's so easy to relate to you and your art with your words and imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday!
    we are the same age, dear one!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Clare,

    Thanks so much for sharing your story about change. It is so very true what you say about change. We must all embrace sometime or another!!
    Happy Birthday to you as well, you look great!!!! As always you know I love your art, it makes me smile and all happy inside. Oh and by the way, thanks for your sweet comments on my latest blog posting. It's so great to know special, talented artists like yourself are among those I call friend.

    Be well!!
    x0x0
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little late for the birthday, but never late to wish you happiness. Accepting changes is tricky; I always need time to process and understand... Your husband is amazing! What a beautiful gift! I am sure that you will put it to good use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your so lovely Clare! Thank you so much!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a kind and clever husband you have! Such a lovely surprise. :) I've been having massive changes in my life too this year. They still continue when my son leaves home for university in a week or 2. It makes me very sad that he's going but it's a postive move for him and that's what helps me to accept it. I'm still going to miss him badly though!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Clare,

    Thank you so much for the amazing post card. This is my first swap and I must say I think I am hooked. Your stitched card is beautiful and brilliant. I must say my favorite part is the old postage and the thoughts and stories that they envoke. Perhaps it was a soldier to his young wife or girlfriend. I also noticed the stamp in the upper right hand corner is upside down, growing up I (and every other young girl) always put postage on upside down to signify love.

    Once again, thank you so much for this amazing gift.
    Bobbie M

    ReplyDelete
  14. a little bit late ... but still : happy birthday ! I am having in few days my 45. birthday, and I can relate sooooooooo much to what you have written about changes, that I am sure it has also to do with our age. Being also in the middle... Our parents getting older, worrying about them and our children growing up !!! Thank God we have our art....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is such a wonderful husband! i love your gifts:)
    I loved reading your thoughts about life’s changes; all we can do is embrace life and everything that comes with it :)

    Wishing you a very happy birthday and many more !!
    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday. Change... a guarantee. I hope the winds of change are graceful and kind as you journey through this new year. Thank-you for sharing such a thoughtful post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://carlosdamiao24.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment