more than one voice

Friday, September 9, 2011

stories to tell


Works of art often tell stories, looking at an art work can be like reading a novel. The art has its own unique narrative to tell, powerful images create a story.  The artist paints their words in colour and texture, making marks and lines, creating depth and emotion with paint.  The composition of the art work subtly tells the tale. The unspoken story is revealed, to each viewer it is different, emotions are complex and unique, open to interpretation.

Some art seems to tell better stories, just like a well written book. Some authors are more experienced, better educated, can play with words and create prose that paints images.   When I look at my own art with a critical eye, I sometimes battle to see the story. I seem to be too caught up in getting the technique right, in learning how to paint and I forget to tell a story, I feel my lack of education. 

I was contemplating all this the other night while sitting in the bath, (don’t the greatest insights always occur in the bath).  Suddenly, I realised that the very process of creating an art work tells a tale, the fact that I chose to paint, that I want to learn to paint, that I endeavour to pursue this need to make art, tells a story.  The materials I chose to use, the colours I use, the sweet little faces I seem to need to paint, they all tell a story.  Some stories are dramas, and some are romantic comedies with sweet innocent characters.  What I realised is that there are so many stories to tell and so many stories to unravel and enjoy.


12 comments:

  1. beautiful post; i enjoyed reading yoru words, and love your artwork very much. The journey is a story in itself you are right;
    i need to remind myself of that a bit more often :)
    (and you are right about the bath bit too!!)

    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet lovely Clare, with deep thoughts and insights, willing to share, always on the lookout, painting wonderfully, that's what you are, that's your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy I tell you there is nothing that a hot bubble bath can't fix!!! I love your work, very inspiring!!!
    Thanks again for sharing!!!
    Debbie
    brown eyed girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the amazing thing about art, every viewer see it with hers/his own eyes and understand it from their point. This last painting of yours holds a lot of storys as I see it.
    Thanks for visiting my site and I'm really curious to see your map-beads. That's an interesting idea for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your writing here. And yes, love those inspirational times that come in the bath, on a run, in the car and while laying down to go to sleep : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clare, another beautiful painting and yes it tells another beautiful story.
    I love reading your posts.
    Hugs,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every little thing tells a story. I love the way a painting or drawing can capture a moment in time, but also the feelings and emotions of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Clare...I get it. For me, it 's ALL about the stories. Some of us share it by song, by word, by recipe, by painting... I think that's what we are supposed to do... Share our stories. Looking forward to seeing your stories unfold. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see a lot of stories in your paintings , they are full of emotion.... If there wasn't any story , you wouldn't bother painting it.... It is just a story that you can't tell with words, that is why you paint it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the stories of
    your heart canvas! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm glad i won't be forced to choose between your written stories or your canvas stories, because i would never be able to choose one over the other...your BEAUTIOUS work ALL! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Clare:)
    i was just dropping by to see what’s new in your beautiful world...
    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment