more than one voice

Monday, November 14, 2011

being brave

15/11/2011




Today my first born Jess, is 20. This year has been a difficult one for Jess. She has been faced with lots of challenges, yet she has preserved and become stronger despite them all.  She has been brave and learnt to sit with those things that are uncomfortable.  It has not been easy to see her battle, to see her being hurt and the urge to jump in and save her has at times been over whelming.  We have tired to be gentle with her, to offer her comfort by listening to her and trying to understand where she is at. 

She has been courageous enough to use the hurt and pain that she has experienced to dive down into those places that even as an adult (I guess she is an adult now) we find difficult to go.  I am amazed at the insights she has gained, she has done some hard work this year.  She has learnt to sit with the uncomfortable, to look at her shadow and not be afraid.  My girl is strong,resolute and full of courage. You go girl - you are amazing!

Happy 20th birthday - Jess! 

10 comments:

  1. I love this post!!!
    I'm sure she is as beautiful inside as she is outside!!
    What a loving mom you are, you've done a great job, I'm sure. It's not always easy being a mom but so worth it!!

    xoxo
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is in middle school now and it has been incredibly difficult to let go of some things and not "fix" them for her. But that is how they grow and become independent. But this mother business is tough!

    Happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes happy birthday pretty beautiful Jess! :-)
    Mazal tov!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Clare,the more the mussel is bothered with the sand fragment the finer the pearl. It's hard to be a parent from time to time. My son is 26 and I'm still practicing. I'm sure your daughter will do well with such a supportive mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare, first of all let me say thankyou for your lovely♥ words on my blog. It brings so much joy to meet like-minded people here in Blogland!
    I know what you're going through with your daughter. It's so difficult for us to watch and not be able to take the pain away. All we can do is to give them the strength they need to get through the tough times and you're dong the perfect job of that.
    Happy birthday to Jess (feels odd saying that because it's my name too!) I hope her 20th birthday brings her courage and happiness.
    Jess x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's lovely! I'm sorry she's had to walk through pain (and you've had to watch her) but how beautiful to learn courage at so young an age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Jess.I think you are a super mum being so understanding and supportive.All we want for our children is for them to be happy and it hurts us like mad if they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Clare

    Thanks for stopping by at my blog, nice to see you.

    I like your being brave post - it sounds like you and your daughter have been brave in your own way this year.


    They say pressure bursts pipes or makes diamonds. It’s up to you what you will let it do to you.

    It sounds to me that you and your daughter are both creating diamonds x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you both all the courage you need to sit through the uncomfortable, and all the happiness and enlightenment that comes with it afterwards...

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment