more than one voice

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Balance



As I look ahead and plan for 2012 I realize that my goals, dreams, hopes and aspirations are broken down into two distinct categories – those that are tangible, and then those that are intangible.

On the one hand, I want to continue developing a successful creative art business, where I can share my art and hopefully convey a positive message through it.  I have lots of plans for things I want to make using my art, and I have several ideas for how I can market my art, and different venues where I can sell my products. I want to continue learning about art, to stretch and grow.  I realize the importance of practice and commitment to art, the business of getting down and doing.

Then there are those intangible aspirations. Things that I feel, things that I still don’t quite have the words to describe.  I have a sense of needing to create more space in my life with less in it.  I need to slow down and be content to sit – just to sit.

The two seem so far apart, so different but I have a feeling that one can not be without the other, that both aspects are needed to create a balance. I suppose it is about ‘fitting’ the two together.


I would like to share this extract from a beautiful poem written by a blind lady, Virginia Adair, who had her first poetry book ‘Ants on Melon’ published at the age of eighty-three.

My lines hold fast
And do not break
With drawing life from the cold sea
I do this for my hunger’s sake.

13 comments:

  1. You are so right, balance is important to both sides. I do hope you can manage to find it. Clare, this painting is so beautiful, and holds a very interesting background. Colours of my heart as well. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I am going to save those words clare - they are lovely. Are you planning to sell or display your art in your husbands bookshop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance is very important to me, it makes things manageable and gives me security - nothing more disturbing than "feeling out of balance". Yes, and there often the "fitting" comes in. The "sorting stuff out", the decisions of what to let go and what to change and what to keep. You have a wonderful way to put into words, what we all often feel. Thank you for that Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find your balance!!
    It is one of those things that always seems to be so close at times and so far away at times.
    You have an amazing attitude towards love, life and creating, it will all come together for you, I just know it!!!
    xoxo
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet piece...it goes lovely with the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your posts,they always resonate with me and make me think. Getting the right balance between slowing down and gettings things done. I find I rush around too much and don't feel as though I'm accomplishing very much. When I slow down, I take care and achieve more. Thankyou for this reminder Clare.
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Quiet moments feed life and inspiration. I think the two are inseparably linked.

    Love your new header, Clare!!
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare,

    Thanks for your comment on my sketch. Yes, I did do the sketch while in church. It gives me something to do with my hands and I seem to listen better that way. I sit in the back so its not distracting to anyone and my minister is just fine with it.

    Balance is such a tricky thing. I love your art. I like that short little poem.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. that poem is AMAZING and i love the age she began writing!

    + your art is so pretty. as is your face.

    love to you as you create + be. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love your new look and header for your blog. Feels so much more spacious and free. I bet it is a good omen for the future year 2012. In this chaotic world we live we definitely need a good dose of just sitting and being. How else are we to fill up our souls with art inspiration. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can so identify with your words! And what a lovely poem! Clare, I love your work and your perception. Your art is wonderful! This piece sings to me. She's beautiful! Such rich color and texture. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a powerful poem you share, deeply stirring.
    love your art and thoughts about your new year and direction.
    wishing you a year overflowing with days that feel wonderful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always Clare, thank you for your sweet words of encouragementj!!!
    debbie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment