more than one voice

Friday, January 27, 2012

fitting it all in

 

It seems as if I am really being challenged by my 2012 word.  - Fitting - Trying, to fit in all the new things that 2012 holds for me and my family.  It feels as if the year started with such a rushed pace.  Working during the week and then on weekends,  quite an adjustment for a former lazy people.  I have to admit that I'm not one of those people that thrives on pressure and lots of work.  I prefer lots of empty time and space, with a little work thrown in now and again. 

I have managed to negotiate two afternoons off a week, at my 'day' job. But - have been promoted, so have much more responsibility, which is okay because I was bored last year. Did I just say bored?  I enjoy my job and feel that it is making a positive contribution to the poor and marginalized rural women in SA.  The organisation I work for trains mostly rural women to start savings and credit groups, which then gives them access to small loans. As the groups generate their own capital, repayment of loans is almost 100%.  It is a far better model than the old micro-finance models and we hear wonderful stories almost everyday of how the groups are changing peoples lives in the rural areas.

Our book shop is doing well, and it is fun to be running our own business again.  I have been working hard at night making pictures and magnets from my art.  I was thinking last night that I must share how I make my pics and magnets, as it is a really nice way to sell your art and you get to keep the originals.

Fitting it all in - mmm and I was rather hoping the word would be more about spending time contemplating the philosophical concepts of fitting into my soul and life, not how to fit in 100 things to do in one day.  Just shows you why it's not a good idea to have too many preconceived ideas -  about anything!

17 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile Clare!
    I think we can all relate to it. But I see you are doing great, you enjoy the shop and you still snip a bit of time away for your art. It is probably also a matter of getting used to the new schedule. And then there will be the quiet moments for the soul fittings too! :-) Hugs! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it always like that? We think of one thing and experience another. But, in the end it's easier to spot the connections between everything. My impression is that you've been off to a good start, a bit too busy but a good one. The rest will change as time comes.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that our words of the year DO challenge us.. and I'm not sure why! I chose kindness as mine, and so far the boundaries of 'kind' is being stretched hard! lol... maybe next yr I will choose an easier word! or not one at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day job sounds rewarding and generous. I'm amazed at how you manage to "fit" it all in. I think we do what we love, and no matter how hectic, we can find a way. I look forward to seeing how you make pictures/magnets from your art. Do you sell them somewhere? I love your painted ladies.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your painting - she really does feel fresh, the delicate colours are lovely! Your day job sounds really rewarding Clare, and well done for getting a promotion!
    I agree with you on the preconceived ideas thing! - I hope you find the space you need x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you sound really busy, but how wonderful it is to say you love your job! I hope I can do the same when I find work in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just discovered your blog (via Winged Writer) and love it and your artwork! Must say I've always been intrigued by the idea of opening a book shop, but for me I think it was more about being surrounded by books. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am similar in the way I don't thrive in being under pressure either. I hope things settle and you find some space and time to just be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clare, so lovely to hear from you! :) Your so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is funny how one word can mean many things and our journey never seems to go exactly as planned. But that keeps it interesting, right? :) I love that you're enjoying your bookshop! Pins and magnets? Yes, please share!

    Also, thanks for your ever beautiful and precious words on my blog. ((Hugs))
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know just what you mean...and you're doing a grand job of keeping some balance. this new work is so so pretty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh, i relate, clare.
    my word is "integration"
    + have felt similarly
    fulllll with it!
    **
    i can see "fitting into
    my soul and life" as YOU...
    such language is translated
    into your soulful art/
    i feel it there.
    (beautiful, dear one).
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Clare, I always wondered what your day job was. What an interesting and important work you do. My motto when it gets really busy is "one thing at a time". I prioritize every minute of the day and it all seems to flow.

    Hang in there!

    Love your art work! She's a pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to find out your process, that would be lovely if you could share it here! Well done with the shop, I hope it goes well. :)
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know the feeling well! I've been trying to fit about 6 months into January!

    It sounds like you have a wonderful job that really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. remember to look after yourself too :)
    i was wondering how your bookshop is going; so glad to read it’s going well.
    xo sandra

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment