more than one voice

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

it's 2012

Happy New Year  - I hope that 2012 is a wonderful year for everyone.  There is something so magical about saying 2012, do you feel it or is it just me?


Finally - here is Huddy's Books

Colin is a teacher and the kids have always called him Mr Huddy - so it was an easy choice for the name.  
Can you spy Mr Huddy in the corner with the top hat on?


The shop is situated at a place called 'Piggly Wiggly' and this is the coffee shop / farm stall at the 'village'


Our neighbors - Sterling Wrought Iron - he makes the most amazing stuff - I will definitely post lots of pictures of this artists work.



Some more shops - it's all very new


The putt putt course - in the making


At the end of 2011 I was quiet frazzled with all the preparations for opening our book shop.  We opened the shop on the 16th of December, which is the Day of Reconciliation in SA.  It has been a huge success, with people loving our collection of books. The setting is amazing, so beautiful and peaceful.  We went on a frantic buying spree last week preparing to stock up before we have to return to work.


The fun part - packing out all the books and seeing all the treasures we have collected over the last few months


looking very bare


Colin trying to work out where it put the hooks on the book shelves - not fun

I grabbed a little corner for my art and I couldn't believe the response. (but can you believe it I didn't take any photos!)  I sold out! I was nervous about putting my art out for sale, you know all that, what will people think, is it good enough to be displayed and so on.  I'm really encourage and have many plans for the year ahead to develop my art into a small business.  Time of course is a bit of a problem, but I'm hoping that I can cut down my hours at work to spend more time on my art 'business'and to help Colin with the book shop.  It looks like it's going to a good (great) year.


18 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogger world Clare!

    The shop looks lovely and inviting (I would definitely let young children in too), and I think it is such a great idea to prepare a corner for your wonderful art! I wish you and your husband success and a lot of joy with this new adventure.

    Happy New Year with only good things to come - that is what I wish for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Clare! Your bookstore looks great, and how happy you must feel when you sold out your art. That's a really good feeling, to know that others value it too. For us, who have seen your art at this blog, it was no surprise that you sold well but for the creator it's always a bit different. I hope for you that 2012 will give you all the time you need to make art and that the bookstore will do great as well.
    I'm so excited for you and right now I'm all smiles. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Clare on your new venture AND selling your art. I know that we do art first for ourselves, but it's wonderful when it speaks to other people as well, and you know that it's going somewhere where people love it as much as you do. Wishing you a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how exciting is all this!!! and... happy new year to you and yours clare... and lotsaluck with the book shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking good Clare and you're in so much good company too having another artist close by! I hope it's a success for you both and that your art can really take off this year!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! What a beautiful store!! I am so glad it is starting out so successful. The grounds, the shop, the other buildings....all is gorgeous! I hope you do make sure to take time for your art. You are so talented and I'm sure you will continue to sell everything!

    Thanks for coming by my blog. 2012 is going to be great...I feel it, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i could laugh and cry at the same time! this is so wonderful and lots of work you've both endured. my only wish would be that i could live near enough to pop in and peruse. i am thrilled for you clare, over your art, but am not in the least bit surprised. IT is as SPECIAL has the human being YOU are! CONGRATULATIONS on all! xo
    P.S. i love how you critique my work, you always get me thinking and growing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. PPS...i took a closer look at mr. huddy...he is spectacular...did you create him?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on opening up your book store - it looks fabulous! I love the name of it! And how exciting that all your art work sold out! - that is such good news. I'm wishing you so much joy as you make plans with your art business xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Clare! So happy for your success in the book store and selling out on your art! I am not surprised at all. What a great combination...beautiful setting, books and art. My favorite things. Congratulations over and over! Thank you for sharing the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you!! Your book shop looks cozy. And YAY for selling out your art work!!! I think 2012 will be magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks so beautiful! Best wishes Clare!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clare, this is WONDERFUL!!! What a beautiful little space... and those books!! OMG... i wish i were closer. :-)
    And i'm so happy for you that your art sold out!! how exciting is that?! You're in for a fabulous new year, girl. Bravo to you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clare!!!! Oh so very exciting! Congratulations! This is such a wonderful start for 2012, I hope you will post more pictures! The shop looks perfect I wish I could drop by ... Xo Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Clare, happy new year! Wow, what a fantastic beginning to the year to start a new business! You must be so excited... and I'm not surprised that your art also sold out, yours girls are gorgeous! I definitely think you should go ahead keep selling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a darling shop. I hope things go well. BTW, as a Pixie Dust follower, you are welcome to pop over & enter a giveaway for a beautiful clock. Good luck & thanks for reading!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY NEW YEAR dear Clare!!! SO nice to see your big project unfold. It looks picture perfect. What a lovely place to shop for books and ART! I wish you and your family HUGE success in 2012! Congratulations on selling ALL YOUR PAINTINGS!
    I LOVE saying 2012 too...way cooler than 2011. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Clare,
    I am so excited you and your hubby!!! What a great job your have done with the shop!! And yes, I can believe your work "sold out", you are an amazing artist!!
    Thanks your for your sweet comments on my latest blog. You know how much I love your writing. You always know just how to put life into words. You need to think about writing your own book and illustrating it as well!!

    I know you are bound for "Greatness", now you just have to believe it!!

    Much love!!!
    x0x0
    debbie

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment