more than one voice

Monday, January 21, 2013

Memories of a creative childhood


What is the weirdest thing you have ever created?

Hands down I would have to say the wedding dress I knitted for my Barbie Doll when I was 11 years old – on toothpicks.  I figured if I was going to make it believable it had to be done with Barbie Doll sized knitting needles.  It took forever – most of my summer holiday – but eventually it was ready. I even knitted a bridesmaids dress (it was the late 70’s so knitted wedding dresses were completely acceptable).

This is what I love about being a creative – even 35 years later I remember this project – the detail, sitting still working on the dresses, the thoughts I had – the planning and the elation when the project was finished.  It reminds me of the strange little girl I was and how I didn’t really like her, but now I see her differently.  She was determined, resolute, funny and quirky – she just needed to believe in herself, because she could do anything she put her mind to – even knit a dress on toothpicks!

11 comments:

  1. HI clare - nothings as "weird" as that on toothpicks, but I did knit - and it was my first ever knitting project at school I was 8 yrs old and I made a cardigan for my teddy. I wish I still had it with me today! I still have the teddy mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this so much...it is the cutest, funniest, most creative thing i've heard from a child's mind. clare, you are so special and write so beautifully. your new look around here is delightful to the senses. i have not been in the loop but hope to be able to look around at my faves..your painting i just ADORE! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this so much! found you through the gyb party. hope you'll stop by and visit me as well. happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely memory Clare, I sewed a hat for my doll using some fabric scraps and wool yarn. I can't imagine it looked good, but for me at that time it was perfect. I still can recall the feeling of having completed something all by myself. Oh......I wonder why I chose to become a dressmaker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knit with toothpicks? Amazing! What patience at such a young age!! I think the strangest thing I ever made was a dollhouse from a cigar box. It was fun and you're right, I still remember each part of it.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love crafting so much when I was little. I made a Barbie doll house out of cardboard boxes and used empty matchboxes and pudding boxes to make furniture. It was really fun. I don't know if that would classify as weird, necessarily, but it was quite the ongoing project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see them but I'm guessing you don't have them any more? I used to make dolls clothes a lot when I was little but knitting on tooth picks? Now that's dedication! ;)
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knitting a dress on toothpicks, wow! Oh how I would love to see one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is adorable.
    The weirdest thing that I ever made was a doll that I made from a little pattern in a magazine (about 45 years ago). It turned out a weird shape, but I've seen dolls today, that look much like she did. Back then everything had to turn out perfect to be accepted. Today there is the imperfectly perfect movement. Do you know what I mean?
    One decade's mistake is another decade's art, LOL.
    Kind of like Picasso.
    Have a great day.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Clare,

    It is so nice to meet you. Your blog is lovely. I'm still making my way through visiting everyone from Vicki's Grow Your Blog party. I hope you will stop by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story :) Your blog banner is beautiful!
    Xox

    ReplyDelete

thank-you for taking the time to leave a comment